1. Install compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) instead of incandescent bulbs as only 10% of the energy used by an incandescent bulb produces light; the rest is given off as heat.
2. Wash clothes by yourself to get slim and avoid as much as 85% of the energy being used for machine-wash.
3. Use a drying rack or clothesline to save the energy instead of using cloth drier. This also cools the atmosphere.
4. Adjust your thermostat one degree higher in the summer and one degree cooler in the winter. Each degree celsius less will save about 10% on your energy use!
5. Use instant water heaters to double your savings and cut the electricity bills
6. Use tupperwares to store food in fridge rather than stainless steel containers
7. Plug your computer, monitor and other home appliances into a power strip and turn them off when not in use- don't leave them in sleep mode.
8. Enabling sleep mode adds immensely to the electricity bill and unnecessary greenhouse gases.
9. Teach your kids to turn off the lights when leaving a room and to leave the lights off during the day. Natural sunlight is generally good enough. And let you too follow the same.
10. Go for a green house plan