Many have a liking to aquire a fish tank at home as a part of their hobby. Some may like to have it for fengsui purpose. Some like to have it for many reasons but do not acquire due to unawarness of aquarium tank maintenance. A little information of maintenance of aquarium is shared here for your convenience.
To start with, you will need to get
- A glass tank: See the space you have and select one accordingly. Take the biggest tank hat is suitable - you can have different types of fishes - also it will give a larger surface for oxygen to ciculate. Acrylic tanks are also available.
- Filters: These keep the water fresh and unpolluted and are of 3 types - a) Natural b) Mechanical and c) Chemical.
- Heaters: A submerged thermometer is required to assess the temperature of the water. If the temperature falls, the heater must be started.
- Pebbles: Specially cleaned and treated pebbles ae put at the base of the tank to form the bed, like a river bed or an ocean bed.
- Water plants: There are readily available water plants in aquarium shop itself.
Fishes you can keep
While making a selection of fishes you must keep their temperament in mind. Some are quarrelsome, some quiet and some playful.
Kinds of fish
- Tetra: Likes water plants and lots of light. This is quiet by temperament and prefers the back of the aquarium.
- Shark: Playful, likes to roam all over the aquarium. Also likes the pebbles and plants.
- Butterfly: Colourful as its name suggests, it swims at the rear of the tank.
- Goldfish: Swims everywhere, is quiet, loves the pebbles and plants and is a popular tank fish.
- Bristle nose: Has a snout like a toothbrush. Loves the light and loves to swim at the bottom of the tank.
- Catfish: The face resembles a cat. This too, is quiet and docile. In adition to the above you can also add angel fish, dogfish, guppie, discus, glassfish and tiger barbs.
How do you know that fish is unwell?
- When its fins are gathered close to the body.
- Usually, the body is colourful and shiny. But if it appears streaked it could indicate a minor disorder, which is treatable.
- Sometimes the fish gets hurt by banging against the wall of the tank or by fighting with another fish. If a small wound is not treated in time, other fishes too could get affected.
- If a fish goes to the rear of the tank time and again in a gasping manner, it could be that the oxygen level is low. If it is just one fish then only he needs to be treated. If all the fishes behave similarly then you must immediately oxygenate the water, check the temperature, check the minerals and pollutants in the tank.
- If a fish rubs itself against the pebbles all the ime, it needs to be treated.
- If a fish does not get attracted to the fish food or if it spits the food out, it is unwell.
What are the precautionary steps with the aquarium?
- Dont allow any uneated fish food to remain in the tank. 10-15 minutes after, draw it out with a sieve else it will rot and putrify.
- Dont clean the water too often. You need to change the water completely, once a month.
- Do not buy the tank and fishes at the same time. First buy the tank and the gadgets that go with it. Study and learn how to operate them, try it out a few times, then go out and buy the fishes.
- Do not buy the fishes at one go. Buy a few, let them get used to their new home and each other. Slowly introduce another one or two.
- Do not put any submersible items in the tank without first ensuring that they are germ and chemical free.
- Do not put your hands into the tank if you have used any osmetics in your hand.
- Dont ever tap the tank with your fingers or nails to attract the fishes as they may bang their heads.