- It is thought that rice is lighter than wheat and doesn't give enough energy. But 100gms of rice or wheat give equal amount if calories i.e., 350 calories.
- In many areas, especially in Southern India, pregnant women are not allowed to eat papaya.This belief has no scientific basis. In fact papaya provides many important nutrients.
- No food is hot or cold and so it is wrong to think that egg is harmful in summers and curd is cold in winters.
- It is considered wrong to have milk or curd with milk which is a false belief.
- People demand for farm eggs. But there is no difference in nutritive value of farm eggs or ordinary eggs.
- Consuming spinach for dinner is considered to reduce life span among some. Its true if gone to bed immediately once consumed as no time is given for digestion.
December 3, 2016
Strange food beliefs
Written By Hamsamalini Chandrasekaran on December 3, 2016 | 6:14 PM
Labels: Food for thought